Friday, January 7, 2011

Antibacterial Properties of Silver

So what's the big deal about having silver embedded into microfiber, anyway?  Well, silver is antibacterial.  Is is antibiotic, antimicrobial, antiviral and anti fungal as well.  It seems that it is all the rage in the areas of technology and health these days.  I did a little bit of research and found it to be in shower heads, hygiene products, toys, personal care products, textiles, and used internally and externally to heal wounds, infections, burns (it is the acting ingredient in burn cream.  I myself have had experience in it healing a burn on my wrist of first, second and third degree burns that were supposed to be grafted, yet didn't need it because of the cream and aloe vera healing it before I had the procedure!).  Other claims are that it kills Anthrax, Athletes' foot, B. Cell Dysentery, Tuberculosis, Boils, Cerebro-spinal Meningitis, Colitis, Cystitis, Dermatitis, Diplococcus Diphtheria, Gonorrhea, Impetigo, Influenza Pneumococci , Ringworm, Sepsis, Shingles, Sprue, Staphylococci, Streptococci, Warts and Whooping cough within 60 seconds of contact.  While there is some controversy in the flood of nano technology used in consumer products lately, Norwex uses silver micro technology, not nano technology.  The silver is embedded in the product and kills these threats against health in our homes.  I have often heard (and said myself!) that we need bacteria for a healthy immune system.  Which can be true.  But let's put that in perspective.  No one needs MRSA or e-coli contaminating their environment.  Back in the day, people were outdoors ALOT.  The germs and bacteria of today are not in the same context of Little House on the Prarie days!  Our indoor air quality is poor due to the air being shut up in houses built with toxic substances, not just a cut down tree stacked upon a cut down tree.  We "clean" our homes, bodies, and clothes with chemicals and substances that can cause more harm than the good of having it clean!  While we should keep things in perspective, because I do really appreciate using an electric wash machine instead of a rock and a stream, we should also think about the impact of the substances we use daily that will effect that rock and that stream.
Ok, I would love to go into this so much more, but I am not a writer, I am a talker.  I just thought I would make a comment on the properties of silver and why it is important that it is the Norwex products.  I'll leave you with this funny example of silver being used in everyday products to kill bacteria:
Stay clean!
Cassy

No comments:

Post a Comment